How to avoid moving house scams.
In the age of email and internet scams it’s hard to believe that a simple moving house trick is still possible. Only recently we read about a young couple who had their house packed up and loaded on to the van. They drove off to their new property only to find that the removal truck and it’s team hadn’t turned up. They had driven off with the entire contents and belongings of the young couples home.
So what can you do to protect yourself?
- Do your homework. – Use the internet. Search removal companies in your local area
- You can check them against companies house, customer reviews online with independent bodies such as Which Trusted Trader. Read negative reviews as well. They can be just as illuminating.
- See if they are members of a Trade Body such as the BAR. (British Association of Removers) If they are a member they will be listed. Better still only use a removal company that is a member of the BAR then you are completely covered.
- Get more than one quote and ask them to visit you at your property so that you can gauge their professionalism
- Plan early. Getting quotations can take a few of weeks so give yourself enough time to choose a removal company. Often they are booked up many weeks in advance, so you should start looking well before your completion date is due.
- Check your insurance and how you are covered. Look at your home contents insurance. Most professional removal companies will have insurance in place for any breakages or loss of your property while in transit. Discuss it with your removal company to check the details and if they haven’t got any they might not be right for you. Remember cheapest is not always the best!
- Read their Terms and Conditions don’t assume everything is ok.
- Get recommendations from friends and family
And finally…… Check Check and re-check
For more advice or to book a free, no obligation removal quote call 01494 774186